COPPA PRIVACY NOTICE
Effective Date: August 7, 2023
Auryn, LLC (“Auryn”) values the privacy of children and of all of its users. This COPPA Privacy Notice (“COPPA Notice”) is designed to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and contains important information about how we collect, use, and disclose the personal information we collect from children under thirteen years old who use our Caedence music education and collaboration software (“Caedence Software”), which is found at caedence.io (the “Site”), and any other service we provide on our Site (all the foregoing, the “Services”).
Auryn offers the Caedence Software on its own platform. Auryn may make the Caedence Software available to schools and other educational organizations for use with children, teens and adult learners. In the course of providing these Services, Auryn may come into contact with information, including personal information, from users of various ages, including students under the age of 13. This COPPA Notice applies to the information we collect from children under 13 through the Caedence Software.
Who Will Collect Information About Children?
Auryn operates the Site and Services and will collect children’s personal information as described in this COPPA Notice and our Privacy Notice. We can be contacted at:
7621 Pillsbury Ave. S
Richfield, MN 55423
Even if our Services are offered in conjunction with an outside partner (other than schools), the partner will not receive any individual personal information from users of the Caedence Software and Site, including children. Auryn may provide partners with aggregate or de-identified information about any users.
What Information Do We Collect About Children and Why?
As described in further detail below, we collect some personal information from children for account creation purposes and so that we, as well as their parents/guardians and teachers, can evaluate their use of the Caedence Software and Site.
How is Information Collected? We may collect information about children directly from children, as well as automatically through a child’s use of our Caedence Software, Site and Services. We will not require a child to disclose more information than is reasonably necessary to use our Services. The child’s disclosure may include the sharing of musical content with other users, including child users. Any personally identifying information in such sharing shall be managed consistent with the terms herein.
Information We Collect Directly.
For children under 13, we utilize the date of birth to verify the child’s age but do not store the age. We only store whether or not they are under 13. If a child is under 13, we collect the child’s first name and last initial. We do not ask children for their full last names. Children must create their own usernames but are not required to provide an email. We only use usernames and email addresses (if provided) to track a child’s use of the Caedence software or to reset passwords; we will not contact a child using his or her email address or username. Parents or guardians may ask us to stop collecting personal information from their child by emailing us at email@example.com, however, in such cases, the child will not be able to continue to use the Caedence Software, Site or Services. If a parent directs us to stop collecting and using a child’s personal information, we must disable the child’s ability to use our Services to ensure that no information is collected.
Information We Collect Automatically.
We may automatically collect the following information about a child’s use of our Services through cookies and other technologies: domain name; browser type and operating system; web pages viewed; links clicked; the length of time spent on our Site; the length of time the Caedence Software was used; Google Analytics statistics; the referring URL, or the webpage that led the child to our Site; language information; device name and model; operating system type, name, and version; and activities within our Site. We may also collect IP address, device identifier, or a similar unique identifier from users of our Site, including children; we only use such identifiers to support the internal operations of our Site, and we do not use such identifiers to collect information about the child outside of our Site.
Other Information We Collect About Children.
We collect information about children’s performance and activities on our Site, including overall use of the Caedence Software. This information is (a) for use by parents/guardians or teachers, or (b) for us for internal use only and will not be disclosed to other entities; however, we do not use this information in personally identifiable form for our own commercial purposes. Before we analyze or use any activity data for our own commercial purposes, we de-identify and/or aggregate such information.
How We Use Children’s Information
We use personal information collected from children for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services; and
- To respond to customer service and technical support issues and requests.
We de-identify and/or aggregate the information we collect from children under 13 before we use it for any other purposes, as noted below.
Unique Identifiers. We only collect and use unique identifiers, such as IP addresses, as necessary to operate our Site or Services, including to maintain or analyze their functioning; perform network communications; authenticate users or personalize content; and protect the security or integrity of users and our Site and Services. We never use unique identifiers to track users across third-party apps or websites.
Aggregate or De-identified Information. We may use aggregate or de-identified information about children for research, analysis, and similar purposes. When we do so, we strip out names, e-mail, contact information, and other personal identifiers. We may use aggregate or de-identified information for the following purposes:
- To better understand how users access and use our Site and Services;
- To improve our Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences; and
- To conduct research or analysis, including research and analysis by third parties.
How We Share Children’s Information
We do not sell children’s personal information. In general, we may disclose the personal information that we collect about children to provide our Services, to comply with the law, and to protect Auryn and other users of our Services. For example, we may share children’s personal information as follows:
- Schools. A primary purpose of the Caedence Software is to facilitate musical education and collaboration among students and musical educators. Schools and teachers will typically be facilitating student use of the Caedence Software and will have access to student accounts and content as needed for the foregoing purposes.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from children to third-party vendors, service providers, contractors, or agents who perform functions on our behalf.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the personal information we have collected from our users to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the personal information we collect in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, subpoena, or other legal process.
- To Protect Us and Others. We also may disclose the personal information we collect where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service, Privacy Notice, or this COPPA Privacy Notice, or as evidence in litigation in which Auryn is involved.
- With Parents. Parents may request information about the information we have collected from their child by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may also use and share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, research, or similar purposes.
Your Rights to Review, Delete, and Control Our Use of Children’s Personal Information
Parents and guardians have a right to review the information we have collected about their children and students, respectively, and to delete it, and to tell us to stop using it. To exercise these rights, you may contact us at email@example.com. You will be required to authenticate yourself as the child’s parent or guardian to receive information about that child. Please note that copies of information may remain in cached or archived form on our systems after you request us to delete it.
Changes to This COPPA Notice
This COPPA Notice is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this COPPA Notice from time to time; so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this COPPA Notice on our Site, at caedence.io. If we make any changes to this COPPA Notice that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from a child, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site and by direct notification upon login.